12 March 2012

Trying a new style


I've been trying out a new style lately in art classes which is more similar in style to one of my favourite artists, Robert Hannaford. He uses a really wide variety of colours in his palette which are not necessarily obvious for a portrait, such as bold reds and yellow. I also didn't mix any colours on the palette, just applying them in thick strokes straight to the canvas. Both of these paitings have been done in oil which is my preferred medium to paint with and makes it easier to layer colours so that your eye blends them instead of the paint brush. My plan now is to try doing a series of these to get used to the technique. Each painting seems to take about 3 hours which is actually quicker than my pencil portraits which can take 5-6 hours!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment